In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful Announcement Concerning: The Crescent Moon of…
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Rajab, 1437 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America announces that Friday, April 8, 2016, will be the last day of Jamadi al-Thani and Saturday, April 9, 2016 will be the first day of the month of Rajab, 1437, for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were no verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Thursday, April 7, in any region of North America.
We ask Allah (swt) for success in performing good deeds and hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdī (ajfs).
Important Islamic Events This Month:
- 1 Rajab (April 9): Birthday of Imam Mohammad al-Baqir (as), (Year 57 A.H.)
- 2 Rajab (April 10): Birthday of Imam Ali al-Hadi (as), (Year 212)
- 3 Rajab (April 11): Martyrdom of Imam Ali al-Hadi (as), (Year 254 A.H.)
- 10 Rajab (April 18): Birthday of Imam Mohammad al-Jawad (as), (Year 195 A.H.)
- 13 Rajab (April 21): Birthday of Imam Ali (as), (Year 23 B.H.)
- 15 Rajab (April 23): Death of Lady Zainab daughter of Imam Ali (as), (Year 65 A.H.)
- 25 Rajab (May 3): Martyrdom of Imam Mousa al-Kadhim (as), (Year 183 A.H.)
- 27 Rajab (May 5): The day of Mab’ath. (Year 13 B.H.)
The Crescent Committee
- Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
- Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
- Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
- Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
- Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.
The Moon-Sighting Committee
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2007 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fifteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Chicago in August 2015.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.