In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful Announcement Concerning: The Crescent Moon of…
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Sha’ban, 1437 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America announces that Sunday, May 8th, 2016, will be the first day of Sha’ban, 1437 A.H. for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were reported sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye during the sunset of Saturday, May 7th, from many locations.
We ask Allah (swt) for success in performing good deeds and hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (ajfs).
Important Islamic Events this Month:
- 3 Sha’ban (May 10): Birthday of Imam al-Husayn (as)
- 4 Sha’ban (May 11): Birthday of Abu al-Fadhl al-Abbas (as)
- 5 Sha’ban (May 12): Birthday of Imam Zain al-Abideen (as)
- 15 Sha’ban (May 22): Birthday of Imam al-Mahdi (as)
The Crescent Committee
- Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
- Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
- Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
- Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
- Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.
The Moon-Sighting Committee
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2007 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fifteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Chicago in August 2015.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.