Tuesday, September 11th 2018, will be the first day of the month of Muharram, 1440…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Muharram, 1445 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Wednesday, July 19th, 2023, will be the first day of Muharram, 1445 A.H. for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Tuesday, July 18th, 2023 in many locations.
We ask God, the Most High, to accept your fasting, grant success in performing good deeds, and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Toronto, Canada
Sayyid Mehboob Mehdi Abidi, Chicago, Illinois
Shaykh Ahmad Bahrani, Potomac, Maryland
Shaykh M. Jafar Bangloori, Miami, Florida
Shaykh M. Taqi Zakeri, Springfield, Virginia
Important Islamic Events this Month:
(Click here for a note about varying dates for Islamic events)
- 2 Muharram (July 20): Imam Hussain (p) arrives in Karbala (61 A.H.)
- 7 Muharram (July 25): Water is cut off from Imam Hussain (p), his family, and his companions (Year 61 A.H.)
- 10 Muharram (July 28): Day of Ashura; Martyrdom of Imam Hussain (p) and his companions (61 A.H.)
- 13 Muharram (July 31): Burial of Imam Hussain (p) and his companions in Karbala (61 A.H.)
- 25 Muharram (August 12): Martyrdom of Imam Ali ibn Hussain (al-Sajjad) (p) (95 A.H.)
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.