Tuesday, September 11th 2018, will be the first day of the month of Muharram, 1440…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Muharram, 1444 A.H.
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Saturday, July 30th, 2022 will be the first day of the Month of Muharram for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Friday, July 29th, 2022, in Blacksburg, Virginia, Toledo, Ohio, and Denver, Colorado, as of the moment this announcement is being issued.
We ask God, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
On behalf of the Crescent Committee,
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Secretary-General
Important Islamic Events this Month:
- 2 Muharram (July 31): Imam Hussain (p) arrives in Karbala (61 A.H.)
- 7 Muharram (August 5): Water is cut off from Imam Hussain (p), his family, and his companions (Year 61 A.H.)
- 10 Muharram (August 8): Day of Ashura; Martyrdom of Imam Hussain (p) and his companions (61 A.H.)
- 13 Muharram (August 11): Burial of Imam Hussain (p) and his companions in Karbala (61 A.H.)
- 25 Muharram (August 23): Martyrdom of Imam Ali ibn Hussain (al-Sajjad) (p) (95 A.H.)
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.