In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful Announcement Concerning: The Crescent Moon of…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Safar, 1443 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Thursday, September 9th, 2021 will be the first day of the month of Safar, 1443 A.H. for all of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were no verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Tuesday, September 7th, 2021 in any region of North America.
We ask God, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
On behalf of the Crescent Committee,
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Secretary-General
Important Islamic Events this Month:
- 7 Safar (Sept 15): Martyrdom of Imam Hasan al-Mujtaba (p), 50 AH
- 7 Safar (Sept 15): Birth of Imam Musa al-Kadhim (p), 128 AH
- 17 Safar (Sept 25): Martyrdom of Imam Ali ibn Musa al-Rida (p), 203 AH
- 20 Safar (Sept 28): Arbaeen – The Anniversary of the 40th day of the Martyrdom of Imam Hussain (p), 61 AH
- 28 Safar (Oct 6): Death Anniversary of Prophet Muhammad al-Mustafa (pbuh&hp), 11 AH
Note: This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.