Wednesday, February 6th, 2019 will be the first day of the month of Jumada al-Thania,…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Jumada al-Akhira, 1441 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that there were verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye in Orlando, Florida, and Phoenix, Arizona, during the sunset of Saturday, January 25th, 2020. Therefore, the first day of the month of Jumada al-Akhira, 1441 A.H., according to the multiple horizons opinion, will be on:
- Sunday, January 26th, 2020 for all areas under the horizon visibility curve from Richmond, VA to Portland, OR (as seen in the orange and red areas in the diagram below).
- Monday, January 27th, 2020 for the rest of North America.
On behalf of the Crescent Committee,
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Secretary-General
|Important Islamic Events this Month:|
|3 Jumada al-Akhira||Martyrdom Anniversary of Sayyida Fatimah al-Zahra (p), 11 A.H. (according to the third narration)|
|13 Jumada al-Akhira||Death Anniversary of Lady Umm al-Banin (p), mother of al-Abbas (p), 64 A.H.|
|20 Jumada al-Akhira||Birth Anniversary of Sayyida Fatimah al-Zahra (p)|
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.