Wednesday, December 16th, 2020 will be the first day of the month of Jumada al-Ula,…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Jumada al-Ula, 1443 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Monday, December 6th, 2021 will be the first day of the month of Jumada al-Ula, 1443 A.H. for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were no verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Saturday, December 4th, 2021 in any region of North America.
We ask God, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
On behalf of the Crescent Committee,
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Secretary-General
Important Islamic Events this Month:
- 5 Jumada al-Ula (Dec.10): Birth Anniversary of Sayyida Zaynab bint Ali (p), 5 A.H.
- 13 Jumada al-Ula (Dec. 18): Martyrdom Anniversary of Sayyida Fatimah al-Zahra (p), 11 A.H. (according to the second narration)
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.