I.M.A.M. and the Administration of the Imam Hussain (p) Holy Shrine announce the 2017 Self-Enhancement…
Now Accepting Submissions for the 2017 Self-Enhancement Competition
[Update -May 28, 2017: The registration period for this year’s competition has ended. Thanks to all who have registered. The submission period is open, be sure to submit your entries by 11:59 pm (EST) on the 15th of the month of Ramadhan. Thank you!]
WHAT IS IT?
The Self-Enhancement Annual Competition is an educational competition which aims to enhance today’s generation with a better understanding of general Islamic studies that they can apply for a better lifestyle.
1st Place – A spiritual journey to visit the holy sites in Iraq
(Full package + round-trip ticket)
2nd Place – A spiritual journey to visit the holy sites in Iraq
(Full package + 50% round-trip ticket)
3rd Place – A spiritual journey to visit the holy sites in Iraq
(Full package without airfare)
FORMAT FOR THIS YEAR’S COMPETITION:
The 2017 Self-Enhancement Competition will be a Qur’anic Recitation Competition. After registering, participants will be required to record and submit a predetermined selection of verses from the Holy Qur’an. (Registration details and official rules will be made available in the coming weeks.)
The recitation portion of this year’s competition will be based on pronunciation guidelines according to “Tajwid: A Guide to Qur’anic Recitation“. Participants are encouraged to begin studying this informative text as soon as possible. (Available in eBook format also.)
Additionally, please note that this competition will focus on the tarteel method with emphasis on correct pronunciation, such as in the following example.
Important Dates to Note for this Year’s Competition
– 1st of the Month of Ramadhan: Registration Closes at 11:59 pm (EST) (pending moon sighting)
– 15th of the Month of Ramadhan: Submission Deadline at 11:59 pm (EST)
– 27th of the Month of Ramadhan: Winners Announced
Competition Eligibility & Official Rules:
1. For entrants of 12 to 26 years of age only .
2. Entrants must be either United States or Canadian passport holders only.
1. Sisters will be judged by a panel of female expert judges from Dar al-Qur’an Institute of the Administration of the Shrine of Imam Hussain (p).
2. Brothers will be judged by a panel of male expert judges from Dar al-Qur’an Institute of the Administration of the Shrine of Imam Hussain (p).
3. Contestants will be judged on the Tarteel method of Qur’an recitation in applying the rules of Tajwid according to the Hafs version of the reading of Asim, which is the most popular of the readings of the Holy Qur’an throughout the Muslim world.
4. Contestants will submit a short video showing their recitation of the assigned sections of the Qur’an (delivered when the submission period opens). Judging will be decided by the criteria set forth by the Dar al-Qur’an Institute of the Administration of the Shrine of Imam Hussain (p).
5. A suggested $20.00 donation is required to participate and will be considered as the “act of entry”; all participants must present a copy of their donation receipt, wherever requested to do so, to qualify. All donation proceeds will be allocated toward My Orphans causes.
6. By entering this competition, all participants agree to abide by the rules mentioned above and will ultimately defer to I.M.A.M.’s final authority in the unlikely event of any competition-related conflict.